Sunday, February 7, 2010

Query Wars

Well, as it's Sunday, I decided I would work on sending out more queries. Nine to be exact. God, what a pain in the carpel tunnel this is. Some want only queries, some only query and first 10 pages, some the whole shebang -- query, first three chapters and the synopsis. And I did remember to change that line this time. Enclosed you will find...instead of I would be delighted to send you...

The first list of 7 I sent out two weeks ago went to 5 previous agencies and 2 new ones -- all A-list.

This list of 9 went to all new A-list agencies. I also found 4 in these who might request additional material. (fingers crossed) I think with 3 I don't have a shot, and the other 2 a maybe. Then again, everything is subjective and I might get 9 solid rejections. Then again, I might get 9 requests. (Wouldn't that be totally groovy?)

I'll tell you what, this is exhausting. I've been on the computer since 7 this morning, researching addresses and blog posts, and all kinds of other stuff. I have a pad with all the information and a tally list, sent & rejected. I could end up being a walking encyclodpedia for the historical romance genre agents once I totally finish.

I still have maybe 6 or 7 other e-mail agents to query, then I suppose I'll have to query through snail mail which could get quite expensive. The ink alone for the printer will kill me I'm sure. The partial I sent was only $3.00 but multiply that by 10, well, there you go.

Nobody said this was going to be easy. And what are you doing today?

* as of 4pm I received another of those, "Thanks for sending us your query, we'll get around to it when we do" messages. Which I think is actually very nice, and extremely polite, even if it is computer generated.

9 comments:

Roni Loren said...

Good luck with your queries! It is definitely a tedious process. Doesn't help that I stare at each one forever before I send it, convinced there is an error somewhere.

Anne Gallagher said...

You and me both, I think that's what took the longest amount of time...making sure I spelled names correctly, addresses, and any other typo's I missed.

sarahjayne smythe said...

It sounds exhausting. So mad props to you for working through it, and good luck with your queries. :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Good luck! I'm not looking forward to this very much. I haven't even researched agents yet. I bought a laser printer awhile ago with tax refund money. Best money I ever spent since the ink goes a long, long way.

Hannah said...

Wow, you sent out 9?! That's awesome. Good luck!! I wish I had 1 to send out. haha! That's what WYAO days are for!

Anne Gallagher said...

Sarah -- I wanted to take a nap this afternoon but of course Monster Baby wouldn't let me. Thanks for the luck.

Glam -- With your book you won't need a lot of research, hell, I'll just tell you who to send them too, I've got enough agents on file for 6 of us writing in different genres.

YFNP -- Well, Chuck said to send them out in batches of 7-10 instead of all 50 at once, so I'm only doing what he said. Especially when some agents say they take 8 weeks to respond. At least I'll have enough time to work on my second, third, fourth books.

Erin Kuhns said...

Well, I just have to say that I am inspired. Truly. Sending out those queries is probably more painful than doing your taxes, so I'm impressed. Keep at it. You inspire people like myself who aren't there yet but know that the day will come when we'll be doing the same thing...

Anne Gallagher said...

Erin - If when that day comes and you do need my help, please feel free to ask. As I've said many times before, we are all in this same boat together and if we don't help each other out, it's going to be a nasty voyage. Pay it forward and all that.

Sarah Ahiers said...

i'm actually really looking forward to that aspect - but then, i like making excel spreadsheets, so sending out queries will give me an excuse to make one