Friday, February 19, 2010

Fridays at the Piedmont Grille



Summer over at Andthistimeconcentrate! has given me this award where I'm supposed to list 7 random facts about myself. Hmm....

1. I have hazel eyes. When I wear a purple shirt, they turn green. When I wear a green shirt, they turn blue.

2. I've only broken one bone, my third toe, in my whole life. It got run over by a telephone pole. (We were playing on one that was used as a stop guard for cars in the school yard.)

3. I live in total chaos, until I can't stand it anymore then I have to scrub, clean, and organize like a mad woman. The euphoria lasts about 2 weeks.

4. I once gave a Christmas party at the beach house and invited 50 people. The night it happened, it began raining, then snowing, then sleeting. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, cooking, setting up the bar, decorating, making sure everything was perfect, just in case 20 people showed up, you know my stalwart friends. Because you know only a third invited will show, and besides I lived at the end of a dirt road, in the rain and snow, yeah not so good. In the end, 85 people showed up. It was the best party I ever gave and I had more fun than I ever intended, especially as the hostess.

5. I love trees and refused to move to NC if there were no trees in my backyard. I think tree cutting should be outlawed.

6. I can tie a cherry stem into a knot with my teeth. (Lots of practice at the bar with that. Back in my bad old days I used to make money off it too. $5- bucks a stem.)

7. I didn't know my brother's name was Robert until I was in second grade. I always called him Brother. (Because my mother would say, "Go play with your brother" not "Go play with Bobby".)


And in some cosmically amusing way, this brings me around to today's post. I don't know if I'll be doing this every Friday but I thought it might be fun to try it out and see how it goes. I know a few other bloggers do this and, to me, it's kind of interesting. Here goes -- Ask me a question. On anything. Writing, my personal life, my stories, the crazy thing I call my craft, cooking, what I would do with a 6-figure contract -- whatever you want. I will answer it.

I love when the Awards come around (ha ha see this post was actually written last Sunday and I had already decided to do this) and you get to find out a little more about the person behind the blog. I figured, why wait. This could be kind of like internet dating, only not, you know.

So whatever you want, (although I should put in a disclaimer and say I will only answer in a generalized way any questions asked about my Monster Child. Need to keep some form of privacy.)

I also need to pass the award on to new blog friends so: The Award goes to --
Roxy at A Woman's Write
Steena at Chocolate Reality
Shelley at Stories in the Ordinary
Lindsey at Dangerous with a Pen

So fire away with the questions, I'm ready.

15 comments:

Ryan S. Kinsgrove said...

Pantser or Outliner?

Anne Gallagher said...

Ryan -- I outline without wearing pants. hahahhaha I'm sorry I thought that was funny for one cup of caffeine. Seriously, I am a panster until about Chapter 5, then I do a sort of outline, nothing fancy, just a few lines for each succeeding chapter to help keep me on focus.

Tara said...

From what/where do you pull your best/favorite storylines? Since I haven't finished my caffeine yet, I'll try again...
Do you get ideas from movies/other books/dreams/store window displays, etc.

Roxy said...

The list was very interesting. I'm enjoying following your blog. Thanks for thinking of me with the award.

Anne Gallagher said...

Tara -- Great question -- One that I really don't have an answer to. You win the prize for stumping me. My idea for Masquerade came to me in dialogue. My own internal. I just had this nagging dialogue that wouldn't stop between a girl and a guy in a garden. He wanted to check her out because his best friend said she was something else and he didn't believe his buddy. Someday I'll post the original. It's oh-so-bad but that's what got me started. As to the other ideas for stories, truthfully I don't really know. I don't watch a whole lot of tv, I don't listen to music all that much, my dreams are much too bizarre to really get a grip. So to answer your question, I guess I just have a fantastic imagination. Oh, and in my genre, as all the story lines have already been written, I have to think outside the box.

Roxy -- Thanks for following. You're welcome.

Sarah Ahiers said...

barring any of your own characters - who do you think is the most attractive male literary character (not neccesarily physically attractive, just someone you'd want to be with)

Anne Gallagher said...

Sarah -- Why did I think you would be the one to pose this question? Hmmmm... I would have to say Mr. Knightly in Jane Austen's "Emma". He is patient,kind, solid and true. Has a good head on his shoulders and obviously knows how to love someone. (Bet you thought I would say Mr. Darcy didn't you?)

Shelley Sly said...

Aww thanks so much for the award!

So, question for you: How is your relationship with your characters? Do you talk to them? Or do they leave you alone except for when you're writing? (I wish mine would sometimes. They're a pain.)

lotusgirl said...

I loved the party in the snow. It's a good thing you were prepared. I'm from NC too and love me some trees. I grew up in SC, so I also like the cooler weather here in Winston.

Roxy said...

Post Script to the comment above... (I posted an award for you this morning. :)

Anne Gallagher said...

Shelley -- You're Welcome. My relationship with my characters is, what I think some real people might say, is unhealthy. I talk to them ALL THE TIME. Trouble is THEY ANSWER ME BACK! Especially when I'm driving in the car after dropping off Small One at school. They always want to know what I'm going to write about them that day and if they don't like it, they argue with me until I am usually screaming for them to leave me alone, it's my damn book and I'll write it any way I damn well please. I've gotten more than one frightened look from passing motorists. In the end, however, it generally all works out and they do what I ask them to. If I ask nicely.

Anne Gallagher said...

Lois -- I read what you said to Mr. Bailey on the Lit. Lab about finding you some writers to hang out with, so as we're both from around Winston, shoot me an e-mail if you want. I'd love to hang with some scholarly types and talk writing over a pint.

Anne Gallagher said...

Roxy -- Hey thanks. You didn't have to do that but I totally appreciate it. It's the one I've been wanting. LOL

sarahjayne smythe said...

Not counting your own, what three books would you keep with you if you were left on a deserted island? :)

Anne Gallagher said...

Sarah Jayne -- you make me laugh. Of course I wouldn't take any of my own, I have mine memorized.
1) Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach
2) Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
3) Thoreau's Essays by Henry David Thoreau