Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crash & Burn

Well, it's been a week and some since I made my New Year's resolutions. How many of you bet I wouldn't last the week. You won. For those of you who said I wouldn't last a day, well you were right too. I haven't done one thing I said I was going to do. Which is why I don't generally make New Year's resolutions. I know I won't keep them.

I think they should have New Year's sometime in July. Or maybe the end of June. How about June 21 (because Flag Day is the 14th and we don't want anything to interfere with that, it's one of my favorite holidays). On June 21 I think it would be so much easier to make resolutions -- most people make the same ones year after year after year anyway -- quit smoking, lose weight, be nicer to people. So if we tried all these things on June 21 I think we'd have a better shot of keeping them instead of in January. January is cold, it's kind of a closed month, people are shut down, shut in, shut up, nobody wants to do anything. In June people are wide open, to the weather, to ideas, to each other. C'mon with the fellowship. I know I lose weight a whole lot easier in the summer. I also know I smoke a lot less in summer than I do in winter. And I usually am a lot nicer to people because I FEEL better, I have a tan, I look better. So what do you say, let's start a campaign to have New Year's Eve in June. I think it would be much better for everyone.

Yesterday because of all the guilt I felt for not keeping my resolutions I worked on the computer from 7:30am until 8:30pm. At least my ass thought it was that long. I ended up with 14 pages. (And what was my resolution again, 2 pages per day? I can't remember -- another reason I don't make resolutions) So I guess if you want, you could say I made my quota for this week.

I think I have a cold. My nose hurts, my eyes and the back of my throat hurts. Let's hope not. Especially if I have to interview.

Did I tell you, did you hear, I entered the Genre Wars contest at the Literary Lab and they picked my story to be included in the anthology. Pretty neat huh? Considering it was the first contest I've ever entered. I guess I can write pretty good. LOLOLOLLOLOLOL I am honored and absolutely beside myself that they picked my little old story. I don't know what to think of it myself because I've never written a short story in my life (1500 words) and it's written from a man's POV, and there's such a short resolution you don't even know it's there. I guess I'll take the compliment and stop analyzing it to death. It's just so freakin' awesome!
After they publish it, I'll put it up here so you can read it too.

As to the 14 pages from yesterday -- I think they're all pretty much crap because I tried to form a cohesive thought to tell you about it but I can't. Violet got sick at Ellis' mother's ball and he took her home. From what I can tell, it's pretty serious. I don't know why I made her sick. It wasn't in the original plan but I'm a panster and don't have an outline so we'll see what happens.

Happy Weekend.

6 comments:

sarahjayne smythe said...

Congrats on your pages and being included in the anthology.

Sorry to hear you're sick; hope you're on the road to recovery soon.

And don't worry about the resolutions. I like your idea about making them in the summer better anyway.

Kelsey (Dominique) Ridge said...

Congrats on Genre Wars.

I hope you feel better.
Maybe you made Violet sick because you're feeling under the weather and your subconscious wanted you to go to bed. Just a thought, though probably one that's spent too much time thinking about the subconscious.

I like your idea of making resolutions in June when it's sunny. It probably would be more effective.

Anne Gallagher said...

Thank you to both of you on the congratulations. I appreciate it.

Dominique - never thought of it that way, making Violet sick because I didn't feel good. You're probably right.

And I think if we started now with the idea of resolutions in June it might take off. What do you think? Shall I ask the Commander-in-Chief to make us a new holiday?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the GW inclusion! I can't wait to read it. :)

Anne Gallagher said...

You too Simon, I can't wait to read yours!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I think I just realized your daughter's name is Violet. Is that right? I didn't even connect that to Monarch until now. Wow!

Congrats on your story! You so deserve this. Heheh.

I hate resolutions. I never make them and then I don't have to feel bad. I usually resolve to do things halfway through the year, like you suggest. :)