Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Working with Pigs Ears

Well, I just had to post this. I did another 2743 words today (because the Small One is at her father's and I did not clean the house for the Mommies Club meeting tomorrow) and the total for the WIP is now 17,280. I am astounded, amazed, and giggling-ly happy. Who knew I had it in me.

I also have to say that most of what I wrote is kind of crap, it's a first draft after all, and I have to keep telling myself that. Davin said something in one of his posts that really stuck with me in that, I can't let myself think I'll write perfectly coming out of the box. No one does. And I think that's been part of my problem all along. I would write, it would be crap, I would delete, and then lose my thoughts. Now, well, I should say, in these last few days, I've just written. I know what it's supposed to look like, but it doesn't and I don't care. I'm writing and that's all that counts. Crap can be changed. What is that old saying...something to do with a pig's ear and a silk purse? I don't know, but I know what I mean.

4 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I haven't heard that saying before, but I know what you're saying. My novel Monarch was ALL CRAP when I wrote it. NO JOKE. The very first draft that came out as a NaNo novel was horrifically awful. It made me want to puke it was so bad. Then I worked it over and got an okay second draft that Davin and other betas read. Then I decided to rewrite the whole danged thing from scratch.

It's not all crap now, but it still needs major help. At least Nathan is interested in some of it. That at least helps me see that what I thought was utter crap wasn't really. Sometimes that's all in our head. Truly.

Anne Gallagher said...

"You can't make a silk purse out of sow's ear" is the saying. And that's probably not what I meant to say but you knew what I meant.

And Nathan as in Nathan Bransford? Way to go Michelle!!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I thought I told you all that about Nathan...we need to chat. :)

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh yes, we need to chat. Good God woman, Nathan Bransford!!! I am sooooo jealous. Write me all at my e-mail.