Saturday, November 14, 2009

Now What?

I've been having a conversation with a friend, I should clarify this, a writing friend, I've been having trouble with what to do next.

A) I wrote an historical romance. complete at 107,648. Reading a few posts on my writing group page, I've begun to think (and have for some time) that it needs more revision. I sent it out for query and received only rejections. Form to boot. I read it so much and revised it so much, I'm sick of it. I really don't even want to look at it again.

B) I started a project for NaNo, I've only got 6400. It's a pretty good story, I think anyway, written in first person POV, which I've never done, YA, which I've also never done. I have everything I need to pretty much finish it, outline, synopsis, half a query. I'm not sure I want to invest my truly precious time in writing something that really never has a shot at publication. The romance might. I mean, hey everyone loves a good romance right?

C) I have something that I've been dying to get on paper for the last 5 years. Yeah, I know. I've written blurbs, I've tried different points of view, I've written a few chapter outlines. I have the beginning, I have the middle, I have the end. I have a woman's story. Hope, redemption, stupidity, love, hate, more hope. The problem is, I think, honestly, it would make a fantastic movie. I want to write it like a movie but not a screenplay. Does that make sense? And I have no idea how. I just don't know where to start. At the beginning of course, but I don't know what would have the bigger impact, first second or third POV because it would work with any. There are only 2 MC, mother & daughter, a few perifery(sp.) characters, and a lot of introspection. It's a fictional memoir of sorts, or it could be, the way I want to write it. I just can't begin. Herein lies the problem. My friend says I should just write it. If not now, when? Yes, I agree. But I don't know how.

So, what do I do? Rework the romance, finish the YA or start the memoir? I'm all into instant gratification. I need something to be published. I need something to have a shot at being published otherwise, this whole writing thing is going to make me quit writing. (I take things way too seriously and I know it, everyone says I'm way too sensitive. I prepared for the rejections, I knew they would happen, I just didn't think they would. Hope, it's a killer.)

I also have to say truthfully, I'm in this for the money. Sure I love to write, but I'd damn sure love it more if I could get paid to do it. My daughter is the major factor here. I need to work from home. Problem is I have looked into all the crap you can do from home, and I can't do any of them. I live in a one horse town. Literally. Writing is something I love, and Marsha Sinetar wrote the book "Do what you love the money will follow." I've always thought that anyway. As soon as it stops being fun I quit. That's why I left the big fancy chef job I was making fantastic money at with full bennies. It stopped being fun. I don't regret it.

I'd regret not writing though, if I gave it up. And that's how I'm feeling these days, I'm ready to give it up.

1 comment:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Wow, I have lots of thoughts here. But before I begin please know they're just MY thoughts and I'm not telling you what to do how to do it.

I mean in the kindest way possible, but it's rare that any writer can live off their writing. If you do happen to make enough money to live off it and support your daughter solely from your writing, it's going to take years and years. That is, unless, you're one of the few percentages that hits it big time with your first book.

I'd like to think I'm one of those top percentages. It's a nice dream, and in the meantime I do all I can to make it happen. But I have to keep in mind that there are certain things I can't sacrifice to get that dream. So it may never happen. But that's just me.

I guess all I'm saying is don't put all your eggs in one basket.

As far as choosing what to write. Oh goodness. That's a tough one. If you really love the romance and you think you could make money doing that, go for it! But I'd suggest writing about three or four before you try. I think the fast-selling romances usually come out pretty frequently, so I'm guessing that if you were to make money off them you'd have to be writing them constantly, or at least be able to provide them quickly as the publisher demands. Getting into a groove with the style and feel of them would be good, and writing 3 or 4 in a row would get you there.

I really have no clue, though. I don't write romance, although I think I'd like to try it. Are you talking like Harlequin Romance here, or something else? I could be way off base, sorry.

You know, reading the end of your post here I was struck with the question of why you're not writing about your big fancy chef job. That sounds like a great story - or the start of a great story!

As far as being impatient goes, you should try your hand at short stories. Magazines sometimes pay or you could enter contests. Getting your name recognized out there with short stories is a great start. I need to heed my own advice, mind you.

I'm about to go reply to your email now. :)