Monday, October 15, 2012

Quick Quick

Good Morning. Painting is almost done on the old house. Yay! Finally got a decent ladder so I can finish painting the top of the hallway ceiling. I finished with the dining room, kitchen, and downstairs last Wednesday. Only have the two bathrooms, and the floors left to do. THEN we work on the outside. But that should be a breeze. (I say that now knocking on lots of wood. Learned my lesson there.)

Anyway, last Thursday, because I needed a post for my Robynne Rand blog and didn't have one, I decided Wednesday night to get all my short stories together and put them in one volume. (Yeah, I know, how nuts was that after painting all day. I guess I was having a good day, knock on wood.) Well, I put them together, formatted them, and published them.

There are six stories in all, dealing with love. Technically, broken love. I should warn you, these are heavy duty, almost raw if you will, with adult themes and language. Not for the faint of heart.

Three were previously published in the Literary Lab anthologies (of which I am so grateful to Davin, Scott, and Michelle for the opportunity to show my work in short form).

The total of words in this volume is 12,873. Like I said,
A collection of very short stories. Here's the link.

The second quick thing I want to say, is for those of you following the Anne Gallagher Regency Writer blog, is that I've put up a quick scene when Rory meets Rosamund for the first time. You can find that here. I don't know how, but in the last week I've scored over 8500 words on that. I think it's because the story is totally new, I'm still in love with it, and I'm actually following an outline.


If you haven't guessed, yeah, I really take this writing thing seriously. I had a mini revelation of sorts the other day. I LOVE what I do. I LOVE being a writer. I guess I've wanted to be one all my life and now that I am one, I don't think I've ever been happier.

So for all you who love what you do, keep it up. There's nothing better than getting words on paper.

Tell me -- How much do you love being a writer? Is there anything you don't like about it?

17 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

And you sound happy. (Even with all the house fixing.)

So this writing thing must work for you, too.

*smile*

Karen Baldwin said...

Oh, I DO DO DO love being a writer. And boy, you're one busy lady. I admire you. The good thing about painting is while your hands are working, your mind can create what it wants.

Stina said...

I love being a writer. I just wish I wasn't so slow at it. But then I love my stories, and I'm not sure I would want to move through them so quickly.

Good luck on your newest book release, Anne. :D

Bish Denham said...

Wow, Anne. YOU ROCK! And... I'm getting more and more excited about being a writer every day. (I've made an announcement on my blog.)

Johanna Garth said...

Love that you're making your house fall cozy and I'm so happy there were no more falling off ladder incidents.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Yay for the collection! I lurve the cover!
And go you for kicking some painting butt!

Anne Gallagher said...

Mac -- I should have done this YEARS ago. Oops, I did. But maybe full time.

Em -- Yeah, I can find plots to think about but then my mind goes off on a tangent and I end up with paint dripping down my arm onto the floor.

Stina -- I miss the old days when I could just "write" and linger over it. Now, I'm just so excited I have to get it all down.

Bish -- I will check it out forthwith.

Johanna -- No more ladder accidents, my father got me a totally bad boy hinged thing with robo-locks and 4 inch feet. It's AWESOME! I can bend it any which way, and even use it on the stairs!!

Anne Gallagher said...

Sarah -- I'm kind of in love with this cover too. And the painting is 98% finished. Just the trim and the cabinets. I should be totally finished with this project by the end of this week! yay!

Carol Kilgore said...

I love the cover! And I love being a writer! I think you have to love it. Otherwise you would give it up because it is a lot of hard work. Like falling off a ladder :)

Susan Fields said...

Yes, I love being a writer. The only thing I don't like about it is all the waiting, and not just on other people, but waiting to jump into the story because I'm outlining first, or waiting between drafts to let it settle, etc.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I love it more than anything and I'm glad your efforts are paying off. I, too, have thought of putting all my short stories in one volume of my own. It sometimes seems like these anthologies get lost in the mix, at least my name does!

Talli Roland said...

I'm so with you, Anne! I love writing and I'm so fortunate I can do it every day!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yes! But you're not only a writer but an author! And it's wonderful that you're being so prolific!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

It means SO much to me to hear you say how you happy you are doing what you love! So wonderful! I'm still trying to work through some crap so I can let my happiness grow. Also, how wonderful about your short story collection! I'm going to go check it out. :)

Liza said...

It is a blessing to love something so much. I'm right there with you.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Sheesh I say good things about you and you didn't even notice on the Did I notice your book blog...

Now I have to check out this latest set of stories...

Anne Gallagher said...

Carol -- My dad got me this crazy new ladder so I can do practically anything with it except fall off!

Susan -- Oh, Tom Petty! The Waiting is the Hardest Part. Especially for queries to come back. Well, at least for me it was.

Yvonne -- Be NIKE. Just Do It! It truly can't hurt and even if it does get lost in the mix, it's so cool when someone asks, "so are you published." Then you get to say YES!

Talli -- That's the best part! Doing what you love every single day.

Jennifer -- Funny, I never think of myself as an author. Only a writer. I feel a blog post coming on.

Michelle -- I truly believe if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be where I am today. You led the charge for me and I can't thank you enough. Your CINDERS was my catalyst. I do hope you find your happiness with this writing thing. It's so hard not to compare what we've accomplished with anyone else. Just put some blinders on and focus on YOU and what YOU need. That's the only way I can do this writing thing.

Liza -- You've got that right! Blessed I am.

Sia -- Please forgive me. I've just been overwhelmed with the old house and haven't really been on the blogs. Your post yesterday was such a delightful find, thanks for pointing it out. And thank you again so much for your support! It really means the world to me.