Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday's at the Piedmont Grille

On the menu today -- Hasty Pudding.

With the exception of Wednesday's excerpt post, my posts have been relatively short this week and full of questions. I wanted to see if my new Stat counter would have anything to say about that. It has. I feel like I've gotten a new toy for Christmas. Who knew that finding out how many people have taken a gander at my blog would make me so happy. Soon, though, the novelty will wear off, just like Barbie's new closet full of clothes I got when I was 11. It will be just another thing to fill me with angst.

Thanks to all of you who stopped by for my final excerpt in the Genna & Tony, now Pete saga. I know I have such a bad potty mouth but please remember, all the excerpts were in first draft form and consequently most of the swearing has either been taken out, or changed to Italian. (I'll tell you what, it is so cool to swear in another language. Even if I'm saying porca vacca which loosely translated means "damn it", but literally translated means, are you ready for this, "pig cow." How cool is that? And I'm not even swearing.)

Congratulations to all the finalists in the Notes From The Underground contest over at The Literary Lab, of which I was one. I am in such illumintating, brilliant company, it takes my breath away. I'm posting my entry on my sidebar, a short story, and I hope some day when you have the time or the inclination, you take a gander at it.

I'm this close > < to finishing REMEMBERING YOU. I now have 82,000 and some words with 5k left to do. Or at least shoot for. Please say a prayer for me I get it done over the weekend. Thanks.

So that's my week. I hope you all had a great one. Get some writing done over the weekend!

25 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Congrats on being almost done!!! It's almost anti climactice though, isn't it?

Stina said...

Good luck on finishing your ms, Anne. I've got this > < much left of my edits. I should be finished it today so I can send the ms out to my final round of beta readers. *gulp* then it's soon queryland for me. (unless I get lucky and they tell me I need to rewrite the novel).

And congrats on being a finalist. :D

MB Dabney said...

Hope you get it done over the weekend.

And explain again about the state counter.

Thanks.

MB Dabney said...

That should have been stat counter.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure you will finish it this weekend!

Jennifer Shirk said...

You can do it!!

Bish Denham said...

Go Anne go!

Al said...

Keep plugging you'll get there!

JE said...

You'll get it done! I have faith in you!

And I too, have a new obsession with the Stat Counter. It's shiny!!! ;-)

Have a great (and super productive) weekend!

~JD

Sarah Ahiers said...

pshaa, i don't even think you need prayers. You'll for sure get it done!

Jaydee Morgan said...

You're so close - lots of luck this weekend!!

Ted Cross said...

It must be awesome to be close to finishing another book. I keep stalling on writing my second, so it makes me wonder if I have it in me to really do it (I know I do, it's just that nagging feeling).

Summer Ross said...

Congrats to you on making the list For the Literary Lab, I wanted to say it so bad yesterday, but I didn't want to interfere with your way of doing it. Fairy flutters- I'll be sharing a book with you...:) You are very talented.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking big thoughts and sending them your way riiiiight ... now. 5k, it can be done.

Stephen Tremp

Natascha said...

Praying for you! You can do it!

VR Barkowski said...

CONGRATZ both on REMEMBERING YOU and on finaling in Notes From The Underground! The short story format is beyond me. I admire anyone who can make it their own.

Anne Gallagher said...

Just to check in with everyone, thank you so much for all your thoughts, I've just added another 2300 under my belt. I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

Ann Best said...

I really do hope you get it done over the weekend! It sounds like you're making great progress. Hooray!

And now I'm going to read the stories you've posted on your pages.
Ann

scott g.f.bailey said...

Anne: Go, go, go! It's been wonderful watching your progress with this novel. I sort of feel like I've had a partner in a marathon, both of us making such similar progress.

I'm glad you're going to be in "Notes From Underground!" But if the short story you posted is what you'll want us to print in the anthology, could you please unpost it from your blog? Not to be a jerk, but we should have first rights of publication and all.

Thanks!

Ed Pilolla said...

i'm looking forward to seeing all those italian swear words. have a productive weekend.

Angela McCallister said...

Congrats on the Notes! I tried. It was a hurried and last minute pile o' poo, though (sent at the deadline). I'm glad I know a couple peeps who made it in!

And I'm sure you'll meet your word count goal. I found myself with quite a big chunk of writing time today when I got out of work at 10 AM, and I've finished over 4,000 words on my first WIP's revision. I'm almost done editing now. Crazy. I never get out that early. I think someone wanted me to get done this weekend, too! Maybe this'll be the finish that WIP Weekend...

Unknown said...

Good luck with the writing, may it flow freely :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Literary Lab news!! And huge congrats on nearing the completion of your first draft. So happy for you! Don't apologize for your characters if they curse. Sometimes, only a four-letter word works -- in fiction and in real life! Let 'em fly, that's what I say.

And, I hear ya about curing in a foreign language. Excuse my French has special meaning for me. My son's first curse words were utter when he was 2 and 1/2, when he repeated, "Oh putain!" which is French for 'Oh Fu@k.' Thank goodness the Americans didn't know what he'd said! I realized that day I'd better watch my language around him. ;)

Happy writing!
((hugs)) Nicole

The Words Crafter said...

I'm so impressed and proud for you. Wow! Just think, next year, you book will be for sale at my local B & N! And if you have a signing at your's, I could even find a way to get there (with a gps, my husband or a friend driving, and either later in the evening or on a weekend....).

That would be so cool!

You don't need luck, but I wish it for you anyway!!!!

dolorah said...

Oh thanks for reminding me. CONGRATULATIONS on being a finalist. I was pleased to see so many authors I know win that.

I haven't been getting around the blogs for the last few days, and I'm glad I got to read the final excerpt. Heavy stuff going on there. Feels like its the climax of the novel, where the main plot and character plots mesh. Nicely written.

Good luck with the rest of REMEMBERING YOU! I'm sure it will be great.

And, I have an award for you over at my blog.

........dhole