Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Blog is Carbon Neutral


I've seen this going around the blogosphere and now it's your turn to help. There's too much carbon when we use our blogs. So, for every post that goes up like this, the Arbor Day Foundation will plant a tree to stamp out your carbon imprint. (I also have 86 houseplants so I'm helping a little bit more.) Please join in this fabulous idea and get your OFFICIAL green stamp today. Go to this website to check out what they're doing.

According to a study by Harvard University, an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz.) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6kg (8lb.).

How much CO2 can a tree absorb? The answer varies, but the assumed values vary between 10 and 30kg (20 and 70lb.) for a tree each year.

One tree neutralises the carbon dioxide emissions of your blog.

Here’s how you can participate!

Just write a short blog post about our program “My blog is carbon neutral” and include one of the buttons on your site (ideally in the sidebar). Send the link to your blog to CO2-neutral@kaufda.de and we plant a tree for you, neutralising the carbon dioxide emissions of your blog. The trees will be planted in the spring of 2010 by the Arbor Day Foundation.

Isn't that great? So go do it right now. We all need more trees in our lives!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed we do.

When will people realise cutting down trees will be the death of us all. It's a no-brainer really.

Good post.

sarahjayne smythe said...

Hee! Way to go, Anne. I sent my email off today, so my tree will be planted. Go!Us!

Anne Gallagher said...

Wendy -- I hate people who cut down trees, they do it all the time here in NC.

Sarah Jayne -- I sent my e-mail too. Thanks for reminding me to be green.

Tess said...

This is great information and such a proactive program. We chose our home because it has lots of trees and that is something that appealed to me.

dolorah said...

I have the worlds most ugliest California Redword in my yard (a 12x12 piece of dirt) and I work for a county agency.

I love trees; in their proper place. I go to the woods and ooh and awe over their magesty. When I've been able to afford an actual house with a yard, I always make sure there is a tree or two in residence. If not, I plant one.

I spent $110 on a sappling and then moved out in less than a year.

Nah, I'm not a green hater. But, I also know the world turns with paper. I'd say a good 98% of the paper I shove in front of my clients to sign is because one of them filed a hearing that said they were never given something in writing to back up my verbal warnings.

I have clients who have been on aid long enough to time out and get no cash for themselves, who consistently show up every year for their yearly renewal, sign everything I explain and sit in front of them; and still file a hearing when their 15 year old daughter gets pregnant and with the reasoning that nobody every explained the MFG rule to them.

So, we have paperwork. And we'll always have paperwork because some people don't think it means the same if you send an e-mail or give a phone call or even tell them info face to face.

Go green? Lovely concept.

........dhole

LARCHMONT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Kuhns said...

I'm with Samuel...I always think of computer-related "stuff" that isn't printed is environmentally friendly. Who knew?

This is a great post. If it's not too late, I'll jump on this bandwagon, too.

Thank you!