Monday, November 17, 2014

Life Smackdown

Good Morning. Well, it's been a month and a couple of days since I've been here last and well, I've been hard pressed to get back into the blogging groove. I know a lot of you are doing NaNo and don't pop up again until the end of November, but I thought I would fill you in.

The Seduction of Mr. Summerville was going well until the end of October. I have now written 76,000 words, but can't seem to find the right ending. Yes, I have it in my head, but getting it down is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I had this crazy idea that I needed another "big" thing to get down before I
finished it, and so I put it in. Then I had this other crazy idea that I needed a ghost. Yes, you heard right, a ghost in my Regency romance. It's not paranormal, it's just crazy, and I think it works, but I'll let my critters decide. I set aside this past weekend to finish it (I only needed a few more pages) but, alas, I'm still writing. Maybe by the end of the week.

Google Play Well, after trying to upload for several days to Liberio (the only epub maker that will upload to Google) I found out that both laptops and my pc wouldn't allow me to do it. Luckily, Liberio has opened other channels to accept manuscripts to upload and Dropbox is one of them. I haven't had a chance to get to this yet (see above) but as soon as I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Anne Gallagher Blog For the last couple of weeks, I've been doing posts about Writing a Series. I try to give helpful ideas of what I did, just in case you wanted to write a series. Or maybe spin-off one of your books. I'm in the final stages of wrapping it up. You can find it here.

Volunteering at School I'm still volunteering at Monster's school as the Gift Card Coordinator, and last week I was also the chairperson for the Veterans' Day Observance we had. It was really nice (everyone said so), and the food was fabulous (everyone said so) and the Vets who came had a really great time (they all said so). I'm glad I did it because I proved that we didn't need to spend any money to throw a reception (all the ladies baked something) and we rounded up loose ends from various programs (coffee cups from the Booster Club, napkins from the cafeteria, table cloths from the PTO, and I used all my pretty platters and bowls from my defunct catering company). It was a lot of work, but something I'm glad I did. Veterans' Day is more important to me than Christmas.

Second Reader Services I've been putting together a small business plan for content editing services that I hope will be ready to launch soon. I've edited/critiqued/helped authors in the past get their books ready to publish, and have gotten pretty good feedback from them. My name has appeared in several acknowledgments, so I think that's high praise indeed. I expect to keep the cost down (so much so that my dearest friends are telling me to go higher because I'm worth it) BUT, I know struggling authors don't have a lot of money. I'm hoping to get this into gear in December.

Other than that, I'm trying to decide whether or not to let Monster get her ears pierced for her birthday in December. She'll be 10. I told her she had to wait until she's 12, but I'm wavering. However, I can barely get her to brush her hair before she goes to school. Can I trust she'll take care of her earlobes? Hmmm....

Tell me -- What are you doing? How is everything? What did I miss?

Anne Gallagher (c) 2014

7 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

It drives me nuts when the end won't write itself. Give it a little rest. Maybe the right words will come to you when you're not thinking of it directly.

We've hunkered down until this cold snap passes. (That's tomorrow.) Yay!

Anne Gallagher said...

Maria -- OMG. I did finish it last night, but the ending sucks now. I just wanted to get it done. I've got 2 weeks before I have to do something with it, so hopefully I'll be able to change it.

We might get snow Thursday.

Sarah Ahiers said...

awww, you guys are so cute with your cute little snow-free falls and winters ;) (we have like 7 inches already. And it is coooold (highs in the teens)

I say let your sucky ending sit a bit. I wrote a sucky ending once and i ignored it for a bit and when i came back it turned out it actually wasn't sucky after all

dolorah said...

Hi Anne, nice to see you pop up in my reader. Looks like you've been terribly busy, and learning new things too.

Man, I can't believe Monster is 10 already. Time sure flies . . .

Good luck with the business, I'm sure it will succeed. You put your heart into something and it just takes off.

Have a good week.

Melissa Gill said...

Good luck getting your ending to come out right.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I vote for going pierced.

Better than a biker tattoo.

Beth Cotell said...

Sarah started bugging me for pierced ears around her 9th birthday. I also told her she had to wait until she was 12. Now she's abandoned that and moved on to bangs. I know she will immediately regret getting bangs. I know this from personal experience! Just trying to save her some heartache.