Monday, September 15, 2014

The Frenzy of a New Book

Good Morning. Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've been very ill. I can't seem to shake this whatever it is I have. All I know is that it's sucking the life out of me.

However, I've also been writing like a maniac again for the last book in the Reluctant Grooms series. I'm hoping to have it out by Christmas, with the first draft finished by the end of September.

Ha, you say, how are you going to do that?

Well, by not cleaning my house for one. Being sick makes it easy to leave everything but the kitchen and bathroom. Am I right?

Also, by finding other people to take my place volunteering at school. At least for a couple of days.

And by telling Monster, she has to forage for her own food. (Okay, maybe not really forage, but you get the gist.)

I have to tell you, I have not had so much fun writing a new book in a long time. I can't quite put my finger on why though. Is it because it's the last one and I'm excited it's almost over? Is the plot for this one better than all the others? Is the happy ever after going to be better?

I don't know. I think it might be because it IS the last one, I get to really do it up, clown around, use crazy plot devices and tricks, and the characters are just having a ball. So much so, I hate to close up the computer at the end of the day.

Tell me -- How do you feel about starting a new book? Is it a chore, or does it make you cartwheel?

Oh, and I never announced that LADY OLIVIA'S UNDOING, and THE LADY'S SECRET are out and available across all channels. I announced it on Twitter last week, but I don't think I ever made it to the blog.

Amazon/ NOOK KOBO itunesUS Smashwords

 Just in case you wanted to take a look.






12 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

Starting a new book is never a chore. But I do start one reluctantly. That's because I know once I'm immersed in it, nothing else will get done. So I try to make sure everything can be left alone for awhile! :)

Bish Denham said...

Starting a book isn't a chore, it's the work that comes after!

Stunning new covers! Congratulations and I do hope you feel better SOON. Eat plenty of chicken soup, rest, and keep writing.

Anne Gallagher said...

Stacey -- I know right. Once the book gets going, everything else gets left by the wayside.

Bish -- Ha! How right you are. Edits are the worst. Just got back from the doctor -- pneumonia, bronchitis, ear infection, sinus infection. Yay!!!

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad you're having a fun go.

Ted Cross said...

Starting a new book has been different each time for me. The first one was easy and just flowed. The second one took lots of swapping around of chapters and writing new beginnings. The third one is just sitting there while my mind keeps muddling through all the details. Hope you feel better quickly!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Congrats on the two new titles. Woot woot.

Anne Gallagher said...

Ivy -- Thanks. It's been great.

Ted -- My first few were epic. I cut almost 50K from each one. The rest were okay, but this one so far has been the easiest. I think because I'm just so brilliant now. lololololololololol

Mac -- Thanks, Buddy. I'll be catching up to you soon.

Laurel Garver said...

The planning and dreaming at the beginning of a project is one of the most fun parts. It's coming up with an inciting incident that seems to be the huge chore for me. I've had to have five to ten goes before I get an opening I'm happy with. The next fifty to sixty pages are fun once I've got a good opening. Weird, huh?

Good for you writing while under the weather. Having motivation should make your body fight all the harder to kick the illness. Feel better!!

Liza said...

Just get better and keep enjoying the writing!

Maria Zannini said...

I'm sorry you're feeling poorly, but look at you, still chugging away.

Any excuse not to do housework is aces with me, especially if it's a good excuse like feeling sickly.

I like starting new books, but I like editing them better.

Carol Kilgore said...

I love when the writing makes me feel like that! I'll be starting the writing of a new project in a month or so - I hope. I have a lot of catching up and cleaning up to do between now and then.

Feel better! That's an order :)

Anne Gallagher said...

Laurel -- The initial hook is how we grab the reader. I think once it's in place, we can relax and let the story be fun.

Liza -- Until I can't write anymore.

Maria -- I've found I like editing books when I haven't read them in a long time. (My trunk file.) Then I can really slash and burn.

Thanks Carol. Funny how we equate cleaning to a new project.