Monday, July 28, 2014

I Collapsed on My Bed

Good Morning. If you didn't know, we are at the beach on vacation. We arrived at our final final final destination Saturday around noon. (I say final final final because I have slept on 4 different couches in the last 3 weeks.) After packing and loading the car in the morning, I had to unload and unpack, then go to Mary's and get all the stuff we left there -- a major glitch in my mother's planning -- and so when I was finally finished with all of that (hers, mine, Monster's) I collapsed on my bed.

where we're staying -- small but cozy


Sunday morning I awoke with a stomach/intestinal/headachy kind of something but that didn't stop me from going to the supermarket and stocking up on all the food I haven't eaten in nearly ten years. Naturally all carbohydrates, ten million calories each, and filled with sugar. (Scones, crumpets, garlic bread, regular bread, artisan bread, cheesecake, tomato pie.We got back from the market and I ate my way through the afternoon, then collapsed on my bed.




surrounded by flowers


This morning I awoke with a major headache because of the crazy weather. It's 72 degrees out with 72% humidity. We're expecting a major thunderstorm this morning according to Kelly Bates the meteorologist. However, the sun is shining right now, but the wind is blowing around 20 knots. I am freezing. In all my years living on the beach I can never remember a July being so cold. And I did not pack one single jacket or pair of pants for me. Thankfully I do have socks.

I did manage to finally repair the scene in Chapter 8 that I have been working on since I got to Rhode Island. It's been bugging me since I wrote it, and thought I would be able to fix it while on vacation, but the solution didn't come to me until I was laying on my bed wondering if I packed the Pepto Bismal. And my mother and Monster were taking a walk on the beach so I had the house to myself for a little while.

the view from across the street -- you can't see it but
Rhode Island Sound and Block Island are in the distance


I'm waiting for the weather to make up its mind so I can decide what I'm going to do today. My headache has not dissipated ( because I had to sleep with my window closed and now my head feels like I have a hangover) but I really want to get this chapter finished. I worked on the little narrative between the two big scenes in Chapter 8, but I'd really like to get to Chapter 9 today. With 19 days left to vacation, I'd like to be able to finish this novella before I get home.

However, I just want to collapse on my bed.

I deserve it.

the neighbor's porch. Isn't it pretty?

Anne Gallagher (c) 2104



16 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Sinus headaches are the worst. They always nail me to the floor when the barometer is all over the place.

But at least you've got a nice view.

Re: food
I know what you mean. When we go home to Chicago, we have to eat all the 'home' foods we had when we were kids. Our trip isn't complete without gyros, Polish dogs (Chicago style), and Italian beef sandwiches.

Anne Gallagher said...

Maria -- The view is fantastic. As for the food, I was supposed to LOSE weight while I was here -- you know, walks on the beach, volleyball, bike riding. Not so much. I think I've probably gained 20 pounds just since yesterday.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

our bodies like habit, eh

nice shots

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm jealous you're at the beach! Even if you are wet and cold. Enjoy :)

Good luck with the novella - I never seem to be able to write on vacation even though I usually make plans to do so.

Anne Gallagher said...

Mac -- Good luck with your surgery today. Glad you got the book finished.

Carol -- Thanks. I just wish I thought about packing jeans and a sweatshirt. It's never this cold in July. Ha! Suprise.

Liza said...

Hope the storms that powered through blew your headache away! Happy writing!

The Happy Whisk said...

Hope your head is feeling better by now. Good luck with the writing.

Yvonne Osborne said...

It sounds like you have yet to start your vacation! The flowers are very pretty and I love those steps and the blue pots. I have a couple just like them. We have had a very cool summer too. It feels more like April or October than the end of July. Enjoy the rest of your summer and whatever precious time you can steal for writing.

Linda G. said...

What a beautiful beach place--my idea of little piece of heaven. Gorgeous flowers. I hope your head is all better now so you can enjoy your surroundings. :)

Sarah Ahiers said...

when i'm on vacay i EAT ALL THE FOODS!

then i go home and EAT ALL THE VEGGIES because i feel like i need to detox

Jennifer Hillier said...

I want to be where you are! It's lovely there!

Bish Denham said...

What a lovely place to take a vacation! I hope, by now, that the weather has cleared up, that your headache has gone away and that chapter 9 is completed.

You're right the neighbor's porch and steps is lovely!

Anne Gallagher said...

Liza -- Storms are gone but still no writing. Procrastination is my middle name.

Ivy -- Thank you. I might need some of that green juice you concocted.

Yvonne -- It doesn't feel like July does it. More like October.

Linda -- Yup, headache's all gone. Now to get Monster to turn off the tv.

Sarah -- lolol. I intermix my FOOD with veggies and fruit, but still, I think I've gained 20 pounds. We'll find out when I get home and try on my jeans.

Jennifer -- It is soooo lovely here. I wish you were here too. It would be nice to have another writer in residence.

Bish -- Still not finished with chapter 9, but I'm hoping today. If I can get out of going to the beach. ha!

Shelley Sly said...

This weather has been driving me crazy! I know it's nice to have some cool weather in July, but the unexpected changes are giving me migraines.

I hope you're able to rest and feel better soon!

S.P. Bowers said...

Sometimes it's all right to collapse on your bed. You'll write better if you're in top health. Sorry about the headache. That's no fun. Hope it clears up soon.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

What a beautiful place to vacation. Enjoy every last moment. Such pretty flowers.
Good to see your comment on my blog. I've not been around much the last few months. Still lots of things to clear up. I'm muddling through. Got back to my story and then the kiddies came to town so I'm on hiatus again. Happy to hear your book is selling. Congrats!!! Can't say the same for mine. Take care of you! Barb